Hi, its Megan here, I am going to tell you more about Milford Community Youth Project. (MCYP)
MCYP is a community based youth organisation run by parents and volunteers. In 2005, the committee encouraged young people in the youth club to develop a project based on an issue which we felt was important. We decided to develop a project on the lack of RSE (Relationships and Sexuality Education) in local schools. We obtained funding from Leargas to make a DVD about teenage pregnancy and employed facilitators to teach us sex education.
In 2006; we started working with the HSE and the Youth Participation Project. As a result of working in partnership with these groups, we achieved the following:
- Creation of an information leaflet for teachers on sex education
- Creation of an information leaflet for parents on sex education
- Developed a booklet on Participation for Sexual Health Providers
- Contributed to a website for parents on how to talk to children about sex.
- Designed and facilitated a workshop for parents on sex education
- Participated in national consultation on the age of consent
- Facilitated round table discussions and workshops with our peers at various conferences and consultations
- Facilitated sexual health training workshops with young people
- Presented our project numerous conferences on Youth participation and Family Planning
- Met with Politicians and senators to raise the issue of RSE in schools
- Lobbied teachers, parents associations and school principals about sex education in schools.
- Raised the issue about sex education in the local media with interviews and features in local newspapers and radio.
- Developed the [arty Hearty project.
If you would like more information about MCYP, log on to our website at www.mcyp.ie