Hi I’m Emma. I’m going to give you some tips now for how to stay safe when you are on hols.
So you’ve got it all planned, your trip to the sun with all the lads or the girls. Twill be a mad week: sunning yourself by day and partying all night. There’s going to be mad drinking sessions, the craic will be had with the gang and all the new people you’re going to meet and well hopefully you’re going to get lucky and have a few, ahem, holiday romances....
That’s all great! You will probably have the time of your life. And sure why not, you’re only young once-but it could all be so easily ruined on you if you fail to look after your personal safety!
Just some things to consider before you jet off into the sun...
- Watch your drink intake! -These holidays are notoriously known for people getting absolutely wasted/paralytic/ hammered/out of it-however you want to phrase it.
- Why would you risk getting drunker than you have ever been in your life, making yourself unbelievably vulnerable in a place you don’t know?
- Don’t drink more than you’re used to at home and be aware that drink measures can be bigger abroad and drink is cheaper-it could all lead you astray very easily. You will not be in control if things go wrong.
- If ever there was a time to stick with your friends and preach about safety in numbers-this is it! This is not like your locals disco at home. If you end up on your own you are not going to just happen to bump into John or Kate from down the road! Anything could happen. You will not know your way about or know anyone to come pick you up.
- Make sure that you all have the address of where you are staying on you and also the number of a local registered taxi firm. Get a grasp of your surrounding area during the day to give yourself a sense of direction.
- Do not go off with people to a place you don’t know.
No house party’s a few towns off. If you start to feel uncomfortable it is unlikely you’re just going to be able to leave. Stay around the places you know.
- Avoid fights at all costs.
The locals are going to have far more people to “have their backs” than you.
Walk away! And don’t get up to too much tomfoolery; boys will be boys stuff either. It won’t be so funny when you end up in some Mexican prison and have to get the embassy and solicitors to bail you out-not to mention the nice legal bill you’ll be presented with!
- It goes without saying but make sure you bring condoms with you for those holiday romances!
If you just follow these guidelines there’s no reason as to why your holiday won’t still be as much fun as you anticipate it to be. So have fun! And if I could offer you only one other tip for your holiday sunscreen would be it!